Family-friendly, healthy meals is on the top of everyone's wish list, but what happens when you're super busy? At our house, we've found the only way to make it happen is by planning ahead and prepping our food. On Sundays we sit down with a calendar and create a week long menu. Often we'll double up on recipes, and make enough to freeze. This way when we sit down to a meal together, it's fun, stress-free and nutritious. Here's one of our favourite dishes.
Makes 1 loaf pan size lasagna.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large sweet potato - thinly sliced
- 1 egg white
- 1 medium container of 2% cottage cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese (enough to lightly cover the top)
- 1/4 jar of pasta sauce
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 tbsp garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Thinly slice sweet potatoes and chop onions.
3. In medium bowl, mix cottage cheese with egg white and set to side.
4. Saute garlic and chopped red onions, and then add meat and pasta sauce.
5. Place sweet potato slices along the bottom of an oven safe dish (we use disposable loaf pans from the dollar store). Add pasta sauce, cottage cheese and then repeat. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
We double and triple the batch to make extra to freeze. On a busy night, pull out of freezer, and cook from frozen. (Add 30 minutes to cook time.)